Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My first magazine submission!

After being passed over for the Creative Workforce Fellowship a few weeks ago, I made a decision to *attempt* to be more of a go-getter and less of a nay-sayer when it comes to my creative business endeavors - my artwork, the gallery, my handbag/accessory line, etc. This blog is part of that effort. I've also been scouring the internet and the pages of magazines for CFEs, reader challenges, etc. So far I've applied for a scholarship to the Quilt Surface Design Symposium (thanks to Christine M. for hipping me to it), and yesterday I mailed off my first magazine submission. In both cases, I'm trying to keep a cautiously optimistic attitude. Who knows.


Here are my submission!

These were sent to Belle Armoire magazine for their "Hair Raising Accessories" challenge. I've been making yoyo/button pins and hair clips for a few months now. They are super quick and a fun way to use scraps and to paw through my massive vintage button stash. It actually takes longer for me to find the right button(s) than it does to make the yoyo. Here's an example of some of my previous yoyo goodies

When I saw this call for hair accessories, I decided to push it a little farther and submit, so I tried to cluster the yoyos together & put them on a headband. Didn't like the way it turned out with all three yoyos made from the same fabric & button, so I took them off the headband and tried again. I'm pretty happy with the result! At the last minute I decided to take the discarded yoyo cluster and make it into a clip.

Damn. Now I have a craving for goo goo clusters.

No comments:

Post a Comment